Wednesday, August 15, 2018

A Stark Contrast

I am continuously reminded of the world that lies beyond the North American borders. We lose ourselves in the comforts of this blessed country. We indulge in foods and entertainment that others could not even imagine. We who live "ordinary lives" are among the richest people in the world, and except a few pockets here and there scattered across the globe, so many live in  poverty. (This isn't to say we all have it good here. There are numerous tragedies on this very soil, but in general we do live more comfortably than others.)

The American dream becomes a stark contrast to what lies beyond a few southern borders, or just an ocean away. While we stress about driving through traffic or the line at Starbucks, others across the globe are struggling to feed their malnourished children or receive the treatment for tuberculosis. The sheer culture shock is why people are debriefed before and after going across seas. We are not mentally prepared for what lies beyond.

For years, my heart has been longing to reach such nations. I began studying at a community college for nursing, only to realize that my heart was passionate about pathology. I moved to Bozeman so I can finish my bachelor in microbiology. Ultimately, Lord willing, I want to get through med school and join Doctors Without Borders. While I am on the right track, it feels like it is taking too long. I wish I could walk out my front door now. I wish I could buy a plane ticket and fly to Africa. I wish I could find those refugee camps where Ebola and XDR-TB ravage the countryside. I want to help the inflicted, both researching in their lab and directly working with the people. However, I know that I would only be in the way if I went right now. I know I must first prepare myself.

You may ask, what can you do while you are still here? One could volunteer locally, or donate money to an organization, or at the very least keep these people in prayers. We can also gain a little perspective. While we are distracted by the "suffering" of a First World country (like trying to send a text when our battery is dying or passing the "idiot" who is driving too slow) let's remember that at the end of the day we will be climbing into a warm bed with a full stomach. Instead of naming off all the things that went wrong in our day, we should count our blessings and seek ways in which to bless others less fortunate. Don't turn a blind eye to the inflictions of the world. Here their cry and answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment